Tuesday, March 07, 2006



This is a quilt I made for my husband when I first started quilting. He said I made my quilts to small so I decided to make a big quilt for him. I followed the pattern for the spinning stars out of Fons and Porter quilting book. I then had to come up with ideas ot make the quilt bigger. I decided to use friendship stars around the spinning stars then hole in the barn door following the stars. I did not measure or plan, just made the blocks and luckly they fit togeather perfectly. I named this quilt "Looking thru the barn door at night" I know its a long name but I couln't come up with anything thing else. We do use this on our bed. It is between a queen and king size. I quilted it on my sewing machine. What a chore that was shoving this big quilt through the throat of a small domestic sewing machine. I used multicolored rayon thread with a star pattern that is set in my machine stitch library. I also outlined the stars and barn door with the quilting stitch on my machine using black thread. I do like this quilt and use it often.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I like this quilt very much too! I can't imagine quilting one this large on my sewing machine. I've done about double size and that's as big as I'll try.

Finn said...

Wow Dot, that is one big quilt to do on your sewing machine!! Bet when you look at it now, you love your Longarm more than ever..*VBS*

It's a very beautiful quilt. I think you did a great job with the expansion. The Hole in the Barn Door blocks work well with your spinning stars and the friendship stars. Really lovely in those colors!! Thanks for sharing..*S*

Alena said...

Dot, it is a really beautiful quilt I like those contrasting colors, I can imagine how difficult it was to quilt it on a sewing machine, uf...
Thank you for that lovely comment you left in my blog, have a beautiful day.