Friday, February 01, 2008

Let's hear it for womens lib

This post is a rant, if you don't want to read it just move on. What do we think we (us women) gained by wanting to be just like men? The older I get or should I say the longer God allows me to live, the more I detest the womens lib movement. Don't get me wrong, I don't think woment should be treated like second class citizens but I sure do miss the chiverly of men and their desire to help a women.

Where is this coming from you might ask. Well this morning was my Job Corp day. The roads were good until about the last 3 to 5 miles. It was an incline, snowy and slippery, I did fine, a bit of slidding but could keep the vehicle in control. Well then it happened, I turned onto the drive to Job Corp facilities and got stuck. I had to put chains on, in the snow, dressed for work. Well I was under my vehicle putting the chains on two men (who work there) just turned in the drive and drove right past me. They waved, one even had to back out onto the hiway to get traction to go around me. Do I blame these men for their actions, yes to some extent but I mostly blame this on womens lib. Why should a man want to help a woman out when they are constantly told they are not needed or necessary? This just burns me and I wanted to unload.

Have a great day, I am off to quilt now. Dot.

10 comments:

SuBee said...

AMEN!
I love being a woman, with all that entails, and love that I am capable of chaining up a car and using those same hands to sew a quilt or stroke a baby. Wouldn't want to be a man for anything!
BTW - those guys are jerks for not offering to help - regardless of gender, that would have just been a decent thing to do.

Quilting Memories said...

I can't imagine my husband going by a lady in the situation you were in and not stopping to help.
but I do know a few women who would be offended. I will never understand them, I take all the help I can get and definitely WANT to be treated like a lady!!!

Libby said...

You have hit the nail squarely on the head. There's not a single thing wrong with equal pay for equal work - but with a generation of gals that have worked hard at making men inconsequential it's no wonder those guys drove right on by. If you smack a puppy on the nose enough times - it will eventually stop coming to you.

Shelina said...

Oops, I didn't realize I was so behind in reading your posts. No I am all for women's lib. I think the problem you had was about basic human decency. Someone is stuck, you should want to help them. Period. They should have been willing to take the chance that the person they were trying to help didn't want any. Then they would have been off the hook and could move on. I think it is just plain rudeness.

Sweet P said...

I'll ditto what Libby said. My DH and my boys were raised to treat women and men with respect. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Norma said...

I agree with Shelina, this was not a man/woman issue. If you see someone who needs help, you should help. Something tells me though, that another woman would have tried to help you!

~Bren~ said...

YES!!! I also can not imagine Sweet Hubby going past a woman in your situation and not helping. I pray my son would help too...I am certain he would.

Knit-Wit said...

I don't think this has anything to do with Women's lib (although it may be part of it). I wonder if those jerks would have even helped a man out. It shouldn't matter if you are a man or woman. Gee Whiz! When someone is stuck everyone should help give a push! It's like an unwritten code for winter life!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

One thing that always bugs me is when younger people don't give up their seat on public transportation to someone older. In Austria let me tell you - people jump right up to let older people AND mother's with babies sit down. I think what you ran into today is just another example of common courtesy, especially in the USA going by the wayside. Although I will say - in more rural USA areas people seem more willing to help others - maybe it is just a city thing?

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carol E. said...

I think it was two rude guys, nothing about being made to feel inconsequential. Women's lib isn't for squashing the "other side", it's for equality and fairness everywhere... what you encountered was just an unfair rudeness on their part.